Friday, June 26, 2009

Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix

While aware of the band, I had not heard a song by them until they appeared on Saturday Night Live this spring.  I was floored.  Pop in its perfect form delivered with a refreshing energy.  Not only did they score a coveted music slot on SNL, they played three songs which is reserved for the best of bands. 

So, of course, when their concert was announced I decided to attend.  I got there just as they got on stage; I quickly downed two Red Stripes (no Jager for me tonight).  They started of with a bang with two of their singles.  They featured a big sound with a percussionist supplementing the drummer and three guitarists.  The sound veered to a europop dance but some rock and jammish tendencies as well.  Hard to pigeonhole their sound.

Midway through the set, a guy in front of me asks me if I would mind if he “burned one down” and after I said that I didn’t care, he politely asked all others around him; a conscientious pothead – who would have thought?  Of course, I wished there was such a thing as odorless pot as his path to nirvana left me smelling like a joint.

After the show ended, outside the Bluebird, there was one drunk guy so high from the show or the liquor he imbibed that he insisted that I high-five him and celebrate the drummer who he termed a “bad-ass” drummer.  So it was a night where there was as much entertainment from the crowd as the band.

No comments: