Monday, July 20, 2009

Bag Bruno

I saw Bruno over the weekend and all I can say is don't even go for the DVD on this one. I got into Sacha Baron Cohen with Da Ali G Show and primarily when he interviewed famous people who unsuspectingly thought he was for real. I then became a fan of Borat because he used a reprehensible but buffoonish character to expose the prejudices of even more unwitting prey. But on Bruno unfortunately he runs his schtick into the ground; it is simply a rehash of Borat with more reprehensibe protagonist.

I did see a good movie on DVD, Revolutionary Road. Sam Mendes recreates an American Beauty-esque landscape in which disquietude brims below the surface of seemingly genteel suburbia. But at its root, this movie is not about that dialectic, but the decay of a marriage -- plain and simple. Leonardo gives a solid performance, but Kate is the real center of this vehicle. A mesmerizing performance.

No comments: