Sunday, January 18, 2009

Life on the RTD . . .

. . . is never a dull moment. I decided to take RTD to The Killers concert. The trip there was uneventful. I thought the trip back would be as well when I went to take my seat next to the window. Suddenly two young ladies sat down next to me, and, of course, there was only one seat next to me. Turns out their friends were sitting across from me and there were three in that seat as well. Then they started talking and I heard many "Ja"s (pronounced "Ya") which made me suspect that they were from Norway. I suspect they may have been college students from there here to work on the slopes and they ventured down to Denver to see The Killers, who are, of course, huge in Europe. They were quite pretty but the combination of their young age, "Ja"s, the fact that I was being squeezed against the window, the wearing off of my buzz from the concert, and my exhaustion (I had judged a debate tournament from 8am to 5pm, went to mass, went to a prayer service, and then the concert) led me to not initiate any banter with them but merely to wonder when normal RTD seating patterns would recommence. Plus two of their inebriated male companions, also sporting the same accent, told them that the plan was to get off at the next stop and head back on the northbound train to Denver so they could go to "Club Po Po" – don't ask me; I never heard of it either and was not about to ask. So the group got off at Belleview onto their next stop on their Magical Mystery Tour and I had the seats to myself heading to Lincoln.

No comments: