Monday, January 12, 2009

You live for these days, but why?

Yesterday was one of those days a sports fan lives for, at least one from Pittsburgh. It started with Pitt maintaining its No. 1 ranking by quelling a challenge from a rejuvenated St. John's team and it ended with a dominating win by the Steelers over the hottest team in the playoffs. The latter included a tormenting start where the Chargers led until the last minute of the half. Needless to say I was at the edge of my seat. But why? Why do we get so obsessed over our favorite teams? It is not as if there is any tangible, long term benefit to my life. They will not give me a playoff share if they win the Super Bowl; they did not the last time. And with Pitt, I did not even attend the school. My sisters did but when I was 9. Still I follow them as closely as I do the other Pittsburgh teams. I would be in such a dour mood if either team lost, and I am on cloud nine that they won. But next weekend may bring a different result, and all I can ask, is why?

No comments: