Saturday, August 8, 2009

The Pot Calling the Kettle Black

The other day I had the privilege to go see Rep. Nancy Pelosi give a press conference at the Colorado Coalition for the Homeless which provides housing and medical care for the homeless.  ACME lawyers, thanks to the initiative of former ACME lawyer, Dagwood, runs a legal clinic there, and I volunteer at that clinic.  So the CCH kindly invited us to the press conference.  As we walked there on the scorching hot day, from blocks away we could see the protest signs.  When we were about a block away, I read one of the signs a woman was carrying and on it it contained the words “you politician” instead of “you politicians.”  I was not going to say anything but as we passed her she thrust the sign in my face.  So I told her, “your sign is missing an “s”.”  She gave me a quizzical look and I walked on.  I am sure at some point in the past and likely some point in the future this woman would have also protested about immigration and probably exhorted that all people living in the U.S. need to know English.  Shouldn’t such people learn their own language first before demanding that others learn it?  Perhaps if we funded our educational system more the protester would have had a more articulate sign.

No comments: