Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The Creek

The Blog is experience a time warp a la Lost due to the breakdown of the hard drive on his home computer. So this posting shall commence my rundown of a very exciting past weekend. I start with perhaps the most momentous event of the weekend – my virgin visit to Cherry Creek High School. For those not in the know, Cherry Creek is “the” high school in the Denver area and the alma mater of Jenny from the GV. Yes, this is the school that helped imbue JFGV with her superior reasoning powers which she used to vanquish Joe Law Student for McCain in the Legal Intern Quiz. And let me just say, Dawson has nothing on this Creek. To say that CCHS is huge is an understatement. I went there to attend a diversity conference and I parked on the wrong side of the “campus”. Luckily, I happened upon one of the CCHS Student Guides (I wonder if they have them around 24-7). The guide directed me to one of the cafeterias (yes, multiple cafeterias), and then I walked with my group to the West Campus.

As I mentioned, I was there for a diversity conference, and I was on a team with other lawyers led by Mary (who was also organizing a banquet for 400 people that evening; but more on that later). We put on a skit which was designed to raise provocative legal issues and then we would lead a discussion with the attending high school students. I played the role of a 50 year old, gay, white, historian basketball coach who had six successful years of coaching but hit on lean times the last couple of years. I was fired and replaced by a young hot-shot Muslim coach, and the students had to discuss whether I had any discrimination claims. Needless to say, I put on a bravura thespian performance, and while this performance was very off-off-off Broadway (even off the Denver Broadway); I hope we take it to the real Great White Way so I can win a Tony. At the end of the two sessions, I tried reversing my path to find my car. Needless to say it took me nearly an hour as the guides were nowhere to be seen. Along the way, I saw a sign wishing the CCHS cheerleaders good luck at Nationals. JFGV was a member of this august group so this adds to her street cred.

No comments: