Wednesday, February 4, 2009

A Law After-Party?

Saturday night, I attended the Colorado Hispanic Bar Association Annual Banquet put on by the new Prez of the CHBA, Mary. Mary and her team faced many challenges this year. With the bad economy, Wells Fargo backed out at the last minute as a sponsor despite Mary asking them in November if they were still a go. So everyone please boycott WF for a year. Then law firms started ditching as well. But this did not stop 400 people from attending. And they got to experience an incredibly smooth-running and entertaining event. The Guv and the new Senator were there trying to cater to the lucrative Hispanic voting block. The Acme Law Department won a diversity award, and my colleague, RTD Chief, won an individual award and gave a tremendously inspiring speech. Joe Law Student for McCain was there with his very sweet and engaging (and thankfully not as conservative), fiancée, Florence Nightingale, as was CB, another intern from last summer.

After the great banquet, I got to meet Blondie. She was very engaging and friendly, which led me to suspect that Dagwood’s forays to the doghouse may be more self-inflicted. I passed on some of my pop culture nuggets; Dagwood can expect to be taking her to see Slumdog Millionaire soon. I then attended my first-ever, and perhaps the first-ever, law-related, after-party. This one was at the Purple Martini where I had the pleasure of paying $35 for a round of three drinks. CB, however, astutely managed to score free drinks all night. But I did get to see the CHBA representin’ including Mary, sporting some hip moves. The music was good at the start but grew increasingly hip-hop, but this clearly appealed to the jam-packed dance floor. I had to leave at 1am, because I was picking up my son at 8am that morning, but when I left the CHBA crew was still partyin’ away, the dance floor remained packed, and there was quite a line outside. Who knew the CHBA would be the avenue to such hipness?

No comments: