Wednesday, February 4, 2009

A Super Day

As some of you may know, the Law Blog’s fave team, the Steelers, were in the Super Bowl. After reveling in the two weeks of pre-game hype, I was anxious for the game to begin. A crucial decision was where to view the game. Beautiful Disaster kindly invited me to Brighton to watch the game, but since it was 100 miles away, I declined. I researched Steeler websites and identified two Steeler Bars in relatively close proximity. One was in LoDo and the other was near Capitol Hill. But I did not look forward to a long drive after the game, so I opted for LoDos in Highlands Ranch. Then I had to decide which jersey I would wear. I had a Big Ben one which I wore during the last Super Bowl. It did bring luck in terms of a win, but Ben had a horrendous game. So I opted for my Troy throwback jersey.

When I entered LoDos, I discovered to my dismay that there were only about 5 Steelers fans there. There were about 20 Cardinals fans and the rest were Broncos fans lamenting another failed season. But these Steeler fans were a lively bunch. One had a Troy jersey as well. The appearance of Miller Lite Women (note my disuse of the term “Girls” even though that is their official title) giving away free drinks and then bling justified my choice of this non-Steeler bar. For those who may think the MLW job is all glamour, one of the MLWs mentioned they have had to work 40 hours in the last three days (almost lawyer-esque hours). My Steelers dominated the game until the 4th Quarter but failed to deliver the proverbial knockout blow, and as a result, the Cards not only got back in it but also took the lead. But Big Ben came to the rescue as he did five other times during the season and 19 times during his career. After hugs with my fellow Steeler fans, I headed home to watch SportsCenter for five hours. Of course, just my luck, I had a status conference in my divorce case the next morning, and I did not have my Cure for the Hangover – so yes the Morning After was a bit of a challenge, but worth it, given the ascendancy of my Steelers to the top of the football world once more.

No comments: