Friday, August 29, 2008

My Night with Barack

I had no expectation of attending Barack Obama’s speech last night. When I volunteered for events for both the Obama campaign and the DNCC, I did it merely to support my party not to garner a lucrative ticket. So when the call came at 4:30 yesterday afternoon asking me if I wanted a ticket, I was stunned; but, of course, I said yes. So I commenced what would turn out to be a two hour journey to get that lucrative ticket. The coordinator had told me to pick up the credential at Lot F at Invesco. I had to quickly research how to get to Invesco given all the restrictions. And then my guardian angel, Barb, offered me a ride to Union Station. There I was greeted by lines numbering 30-40 people at the ticket machines, and the line was moving glacially. But amazingly, the RTD personnel said the machines were “full” so to just get on the train. That I did. The train bypassed the Invesco stop despite the RTD website saying it would not. So I end up at Auraria leaving me with a trek to get to Lot F on the other side of Mile High. With numerous roads closed, my trip to Federal took forever as I had to go in the opposite direction of the snaking lines. Finally, I reach Lot F and call my contact (I was to greet him and use a secret code word), but no answer. After about five calls, I get a text message telling me I need to be at Lot F – in the Pepsi Center. There was no way I could retrace my steps and make it in time, so after about five minutes I am able to snag a cab. I get there as the last shuttle is to leave, embarking with a fellow volunteer and some members of the press. But from there it was smooth sailing. We were shuttled on a tour bus, which ironically ran across the Obama motorcade. We were dropped off at a special entrance and had no wait in the security line. Apparently it took people 2-4 hours to get in. We enter and go to Section 121 where our seats are. It turns out we are in row 5, right behind the stage, and adjacent to the field. We see Biden and Stevie Wonder up close in the crowd. And then we witness a speech for the ages, a speech that invoked, emulated, and advanced the speech that preceded it 45 years ago. It sold me. And the trip back was not that bad only taking just over an hour on the light rail. It truly was a magical night.

No comments: