Friday, August 15, 2008

Nightswimming

I doubt any of you know this, but I used to be a huge fan of Beverly Hills 90210, and before you think me a total loon for that, you should know that when I attended Columbia, the heart of journalism academia, they used to have a weekly column on the show. And any reader of The Sports Guy knows his love of the show. At any rate, when the character Brandon Walsh left the show, his exit was to the song, “Nightswimming” by R.E.M. An already poignant song became the soundtrack of departures and farewells. You may wonder where this is leading, and, yes, it is probably not a smart idea to blog after a few Tanqueray and Tonics (once you have Tanquerayed you never Bombay), but I am referring to the sad farewells we had to make to our interns. They were a fun group and kept me laughing, just like last year’s group did (you see I never play favorites). This is always a sad time of the year as a certain youthful spirit, or in the case of Joe, delusional spirit, leaves the building. I hate goodbyes; a trait I have passed on to my son who grows sullen whenever he last to say goodbye to anyone for an extended period of time. But when Monday returns, and hopefully for me it does not include an Idaho dawn, I will return to bugging the usual suspects – so watch out Beautiful Disaster, Serena Algeria, Dagwood, and RTD Rider – you will all be back on the Blog’s radar screen.

No comments: