Monday, December 29, 2008

Albums of the Year

Ladyhawke – Ladyhawke: A magical elixir that fuses Fleetwood Mac, Blondie, and a mid-20s artiste who has an incredibly keen insight on modern life coupled with infectious grooves.

MGMT – Oracular Spectacular: These guys from Brooklyn manage to do the impossible – unite Pink Floyd fans and dance mavens into contemplative whirling dervishes.

Cut Copy – In Ghost Colours : I saw them at the Larimer Lounge where they stole the show from The Black Kids; Depeche Mode without the pontification; not that I needed to be convinced, but the sinewy dancing of one of the women attending the concert sealed the deal; this band raptures and enraptures.

Hercules and Love Affair -- Hercules and Love Affair: An album where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Not sure what I mean by that, but when I know, I will let you know.

Kate Nash – Made of Bricks: Only a 2008 album in the US, but that is our reality. She rose to the top of the class of the wave of UK Sirens.

Florence and the Machines – I am not sure if their album has even been completed, but if it contains the two singles from 2008, it will be one of the albums of the decade.

Paul Weller, 22 Dreams: Over 30 years of music, touching virtually every genre; I don't know how he does it, but I am glad he continues doing it.

Rihanna, Good Girl Gone Bad: Six hits kept this album in the charts year round.

Vampire Weekend, Vampire Weekend: Not necessarily my cup of tea genre-wise, but a very accomplished debut, and they do hail from one of my alma maters.

Sigur Ros, Með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust: Move past the Icelandic lyrics you can never hope to understand and focus on the magical, mystical sounds.

The Ting Tings, We Started Nothing: Their album's sound is all the more amazing considering it is just a duo.


 

No comments: