Monday, December 29, 2008

Tracks of the Year

Use Somebody, Kings of Leon: It took me a while, years, in fact, after seeing them open for R.E.M., to get them; but they got me with this song, and I suspect they reined in many others as well.

I'm Not Going to Teach Your Boyfriend How to Dance With You, Black Kids: Hands down, the best song title of the year; this is the song The Cure hoped to craft to remain relevant, but their failure resigns them to the role of "influence."

My Delirium, Ladyhawke: She could have arguably occupied five spots in this list, but that would not make it fun, would it? Her delirium becomes my delirium.

Time to Pretend, MGMT: They probably could have taken the other five spots. This song is the one that introduced me to them, and it was the freshest, and most subtly retro, sound of the year.

Love In This Club, Usher featuring Lil Wayne – I saw Usher open for Janet a few years ago, and hated every song he did. That trend continued until this song. Totally incendiary.

Paper Planes, M.I.A. – This song kept resurrecting fueled by appearances on the Pineapple Express and Slumdog Millionaire soundtrack. Its distorted advocacy yielded to its Clash-like tunefulness.

Work, Kelly Rowland: A run-of-the-mill dance song until the Freemasons got their hands on it and transformed it into a floor-filler extraordinaire.

Great DJ/That's Not My Name, The Ting Tings: It is impossible for me to differentiate between these two songs that demonstrate the versatility of this one man/one woman band. Plus they made it on Yo Gabba Gabba.

I Will Possess Your Heart, Death Cab for Cutie: After following him on this epic eight minute voyage, you know he can possess anything. Haunting in the manner Disintegration was.

Carry Feelings, South Rakkas Crew – Gangster dancehall that's original; a rare feat indeed.

Disturbia, Rihanna: The hits keep rolling for the songstress whose future is so bright she needs an umbrella.

Forever, Chris Brown: He showed that he is more than Rihanna's boy toy. A worthy successor to JT.

Life in a Northern Town, Sugarland: They countrify an 80s classic and elicit even deeper hues from the song.

Miracle Cure, Blank & Jones: Any song featuring a member of New Order automatically makes this list.

Sentimental Heart, She & Him: Dare I say that Zooey does a better job than Scarlett at the actress/singer thing? OK, I said it.

4 Minutes, Madonna & Friends: I don't know how they did it; but they saved it; what it is, I don't know.

Epic Love Song, Does It Offend You, Yeah?: Simply epic.

Just for Tonight, One Night Only: Takes the 80s song template, perfects it, and destroys the template.

Wow, Kylie Minogue: A world without Kylie is a world without sun; glad to have her back.

Unusual You, Brit – I am not kidding about this one. Her wisdom and depth will surprise you.

No comments: