Sunday, December 21, 2008

Invesco Needs a Roof

I was at the coldest game ever at Invesco, and all I can ask is why me? I don’t like either the Bills or Broncos but I was appreciative of my friend’s offer to attend the game. Of course, I accepted the offer two weeks ago when I would not have suspected the arctic tundra I would face. We were supposed to eat lunch at a bar before the game, but it was closed so we headed to the stadium. As a result we were there in Section 537, Row 27, one hour before the game started. Luckily we were on the sunny side, but since it was the winter solstice this was the sun at its weakest. Once halftime rolled around, the cold was penetrating all my lines of defense (much like the Bills offense did in the second half to the Broncos lines of defense). In the third quarter, while intrigued by the Bills suddenly turning into the 60s Green Bay Packers, I was hoping one team would get far ahead enough that we could leave early. By the 4th quarter, I realized that I would not be so lucky so I headed to the Men’s Room. It was heavenly; one of the few places in Invesco, particularly on the 5th level with heat. At that point I wished the Men’s Room was like the Ladies Room in plush hotels (not that I have ever been in one) where they have a lounge area. I would have gladly lounged in the Men’s Room for the rest of the game. But I went back and endured the long 4th quarter that comes with both teams passing in a tight game. Finally Stokley drops the desperation 4th down pass in the end zone and we can begin the long trek back to the car. The return of my extremities to a normal temperature would take much longer.

I think the time has come for a roof over Invesco. Given the Broncos woeful record at home we can throw out the notion that the natural elements given them some sort of advantage. Either put in a roof or don't stop the clock for anything.

No comments: