Monday, July 21, 2008

The Story Behind HAD

Harisha Appreciation Day has a long, convoluted history. Its origin is not based in any narcissistic qualities on my part – I am an inner narcissist, but I keep it sublimated. Instead, its origin is in a calendar. One of the CD&S workers, lets call her The Retiree, was bemoaning the lack of our traditional ACME calendar. Meanwhile, Grande Roja had returned from a funeral in Chicago bearing calendars. Why, you may ask did she bring a bunch of calendars back from Chicago? Chicago is not known for its calendar; in fact, the calendar there is pretty depressing for half the year; and if it did have a calendar, Obama would want to change it. But GR attended the funeral at a Polish funeral house, and the calendar featured a picture of the late John Paul II instead of the current Pope. So she brought a few back to show them to inquiring minds. The Blog, always looking to help the forlorn, gave The Retiree a calendar. However, she lamented that she could not read anything (talk about looking this gift horse in the mouth); so The Blog wrote in “Harisha Appreciation Day” on one of the days in January which ended up being the 18th. I then said she could celebrate the day on every 18th there creating an identifiable date every month. I then extended the concept to The Retiree’s fellow CD&S workers knowing they would immediately reject the concept. This part was actually quite clever, I must say, because I always try and seek out overtures to CD&S that I will know they will reject because as a crucial part of our contract negotiating team if they say “no” to me, I know they will do the same to our competitors (I later discovered, however, it is mainly just a “no” to me). The only reason HAD has lived on is due to The Blog’s dear friend GR who has enlisted Starbucks and Russell’s in the celebration along with her supplying treats and balloons. So, yes, The Blog is appreciated everywhere except the 10th Floor (this last sentence is mean to elicit tears).

No comments: